Photo credit to Du Bin for The New York Times
Corruption and rent-seeking create societal vulnerabilities, but their costs may be latent and hard to observe in the absence of a negative shock --- whether natural disaster or financial calamity.
- The Chinese Economists' Society Gregory Chow Best Paper Award
- Rosenstein-Rodan Prize for the Best Graduate Student Paper on Development Economics
- ASSA 2022 (poster, scheduled)
- NEUDC 2021 (Nov 2021)
- Econometric Society China Meeting (Jul 2021)
- NBER Political Economy Program Meeting (Oct 2020)
The disruption of access to an established trade route contributed to the chronic political and social instability that afflicted nineteenth-century North China.
Status: Conditionally Accepted by American Economic Review
ASSA (2018, poster), NBER Summer Institute (2017, National Security), NEUDC (2016), NBER Chinese Economy Working Group Meeting (2016), Harvard (2016)
Traditional herding practices generated a value system conducive to revenge-taking and violence. This functional psychology has persisted until today and plays a role in shaping conflict across the globe.
- NBER Working Paper No. 29250
- ASSA 2022 (coauthor-presenting, scheduled)